January 15, 2010

Job Update

So, I think I've got a new job. After slogging through dozens of e-mails from scummy recruiters and seeing several phone interviews never materialize, I've found what seems like a pretty decent job. I had an interview the the director today. He seemed like an all right guy. He said that his hagwon has been voted one of the top 30 hagwons in the country. I don't know how to verify that, so I'm just gonna assume he was telling the truth. I also talked to the current foreign teacher there, and he had only good things to say. He said this is the best school - public or private - that he's worked in, and that the apartment is nice. However, I'm pretty sure the director was hovering over him the entire time we were on the phone, so it's hard to know whether or not he was telling the truth.

One good thing about the job is that it's an after-school program that is tied to one particular public elementary school, and the principal of that school is also the director of the hagwon. So, I don't think I should have to worry about getting stiffed on my pay. Seems pretty up-and-up, but, again, it's hard to know for sure.

I'm supposed to visit the school and fill out all my paperwork on Tuesday.

This week has been pretty great. I'm sad that it's already Friday. I've spent most days sitting around in my underwear, drinking coffee and eating bananas. You better believe that my digestive tract has had a proper cleansing. You can't really buy bananas in small bunches at E-Mart, so I got a big ol family size bunch, and I've been eating two a day. I've got bananas coming out the wazoo, quite literally. I wish I could be on vacation forever.

On Tuesday, I went out with some of my "bros" for dakgalbi and beers. It was a lot of fun just sitting around and chatting. Around 3 AM, we tried to visit a "hostess bar," which is just a regular bar except that cute girls are paid to talk to you. I've never been to one. Each place we tried to enter turned us away because it was 3 in the damn morning on Tuesday, and they were closing. So, we went to a convenience store and drank some beers there. I recently learned that there's actually a phrase in Korean for drinking in or outside of convenience stores (they often have chairs and tables set up outside). It's called "nanjang." One of my friends bought a Sam Adams, and I had a few sips and realized just how shitty Korean beer is. After a year of drinking Hite and Cass, I'd forgotten what a real beer tastes like. It was heavenly.

Anyway, it's Friday, and all I've eaten today is a couple of bananas and a peanut butter sandwich, so I'm ready to go out and stuff myself full of meat. I might eat a whole pig.

That's all for now. Ta-ta.

No comments:

Post a Comment