January 20, 2010

Camp

Today was my first day of elementary camp. After having a week and a half off of work, I was really dreading going back. Plus, I was a little nervous because I've never taught elementary kids before, and I had to go to a new school. It always takes a little time to get adjusted. But my worries were unfounded. Things went swimmingly. The kids were amazing and totally adorable. They were so enthusiastic about everything! It made me excited about teaching younger kids next year. I don't know why people become horrible when they enter middle school.

After class, I walked and talked with a group of the students, and it was really sweet. There was a fair amount of "BYYYYEEEE," and then, once I was half-a-block away, "JUSTIN!!! BYE, TEACHER!!!!" but it wasn't as obnoxious as when the middle schoolers do it.

On Sunday, I went to Daejeon because I had to meet up with the director of my new school so we could renew my visa. Well, it turned out to be a big waste of time because once we got to the immigration office, we found out that since I'm still working under my old contract, I can't transfer the visa yet. So, I have to go back in two weeks after I finish the camp. This turns out to be a real pain in the balls because I had planned on flying to Manila the day after camp ended. Supposedly, it'll take two days for my visa to "process," so I have to reschedule my flight. It's gonna cost me an extra $100 or so, but I guess I have no choice.

The trip to Daejeon wasn't a complete waste, though. I had a good time "chilling" with my friend, Michelle. We ate some three-year-old kimchi, which is like regular kimchi but three times funkier. We also had some delicious Indian food. I find detailing what I eat is the easiest way to chronicle my life.

I spent most of the afternoon on Monday walking around town. I think I'll be quite happy in Daejeon. It's no Seoul or Busan (for better or worse), but compared to Chuncheon, there are so many things.

Oh yeah, also, my new boss seems like a really sweet guy. He was mild mannered and wore a floral button-up shirt. He bought me breakfast too. When the people at immigration told us we were wasting our time, he was like, "w/e." However, he owns the hagwon with his wife, and since he seems like such a pushover, I hope that doesn't mean that his wife is one bad bitch.

I left some stuff with my friend in Daejeon for "storage." I'm kinda regretting leaving my coffee maker. I've got a hankering.

No comments:

Post a Comment