January 31, 2010

Guess what? Chicken butt.

Somehow, last night, I chipped my tooth on a chicken's asshole. There's a Korean dish called ddong jip, which literally translates to "shit house." I'm not sure exactly which part of the chicken's rectum it is, but it's just little bits of chewy innards. It was my first time trying it, and I don't think I'll have it again. It wasn't horrible, but it was a little shitty. Anyway, one of my chicken assholes had something hard in it, and I chipped my tooth on it! It's not bad, but I can definitely feel a little chunk missing.

I also learned last night a little about something called ddong chim, which translates to "shit needle." Basically, this is where someone puts their hands together with their two index fingers sticking out, and they poke their fingers into someone's ass. I already knew about it and had a student try to do it to me the other day (can you imagine a kid doing that to a teacher in America?), but I had no idea that chim means needle. That makes it a little more disgusting, somehow. Here's a good blog entry that goes in depth about Korea's shit culture.

I ended up staying out until past 6:00 AM last night. I hadn't done that in a while. We started out at a makoli (Korean rice wine) restaurant, where we ate the chicken ass and drank. Then, we roamed around to various bars, and I somehow managed to drink for free all night. I guess people were feeling generous. Also, some greasy Scotsman was trying to get a local girl all boozed up, so he kept ordering jug after jug of soju-pomegranate cocktails, which I took advantage of. Fortunately, the girl escaped unbesmirched.

This afternoon, I met up with some pals, and we played "pocketball." It's kind of funny how some of the English words that Koreans adopt aren't really correct, but the foreigners often use them anyway. "Pocketball" just means pool, and at one point, I couldn't help but laugh because my friends and I were all just calling it pocketball. Also, at the pool hall, my friend asked the owner of the coffee was "service," which is Konglish for "free." Except, Koreans can't really say Vs, so they pronounce it "suh-bi-suh."

At the pool hall, I met a Korean woman who lives in Texas. She's just visiting. Then, her nephew came in, and he was one of my students! Small world, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment