January 30, 2010

Frownland

Feeling much better today. I've really been fiending for coffee lately, which is a problem because my coffee maker is in Daejeon. I've bought $4 coffees from Starbucks the last two days. This must stop. Anyway, I was thinking about lounging around my apartment all day, but my craving for coffee got the best of me, so I walked to Starbucks, and I'm really glad I did. The weather is beautiful! I guess I've gotten used to the cold weather, because I just checked, and the high today was 43 degrees. But it was nice and sunny, and my mood improved about 100%. Add to that the caffeine coursing through my veins, and now I'm feeling "on top of the world."

Also, I've really been "rocking out" to this album lately:



I'm also feeling very "inspired." Sometimes I'll watch a movie that really makes me want to want to make a movie. Today, I watched a movie called Frownland. It actually wasn't very good, but it was really low-budget and seemed like something I would be capable of making. Except, you know, mine would be better.



This trailer isn't really a good representation of the movie. The trailer shows pretty much all of the frantic moments of the movie. For the most part, it's really boring. Not much happens, and the lead actor spends most of the movie rubbing his face, stuttering, and opening his mouth like he's about to say something but then deciding not to.

Even if they're not very entertaining, I'm glad that some of these kinds of low/no-budget movies are available for people to watch (even if only 0.0001% of the population would ever care about watching them). I've been scribbling down ideas all afternoon. Most of them are probably shit, but that's okay. I wish I were in a position to make the kinds of movies I want to make right now, but I guess it's not so bad for me to wait. No one really makes any great art (especially films) until they're in their 30s or 40s (of course there are exceptions).

I feel like my writing skills have really gone to shit since high school. Even in college, most of the stuff I wrote was pretty bad. I just figured out the formula for writing a "good" essay. But I guess a blog is supposed to be kind of stream-of-consciousness anyway. I just feel like this is hardly readable sometimes.

Drank a couple beers (on an empty stomach) in the course of writing this and doing other miscellaneous internet things. Now I'm feeling this kind of strange caffeine/alcohol buzz. I don't know what to do with myself these days. I have so much free time, and I spend almost all of it alone. I think that's why I've been drinking so much coffee lately. I want these substances to relieve my boredom. I guess they do, but it's ultimately not a very satisfying way to live one's life. Oh well. I'll be busy again soon.

2 comments:

  1. I've been reading almost every entry you have, I'm glad you're keeping it up to date. And don't worry, you're writing style is very enjoyable and highly readable.

    I like the words in quotes. Oh and if it was me, I'd get an Xbox or something to relieve my boredom. Maybe a Nintendo DS, since you're in "that part of the world" with "those kinda people".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've really been thinking about getting a console lately. But the problem is that Korean and US consoles are different, and you can't play games you buy in America in Korea and vice versa. Maybe I'll pick something up when I'm back in America.

    ReplyDelete