January 11, 2010

Ice



On Saturday, a couple pals and I went to the Hwacheon Ice Festival. Hwacheon is just outside of Chuncheon. It was pretty fun. I was excited to ice skate because I'd never done it before. It got kind of boring after about 10 minutes, though.





I also fell on the ice with my camera in my pocket and screwed up the LCD screen. It still takes pictures okay, but I can't see the screen at all. For a while after I broke it, half of the screen worked, but now it's all dead. I was planning on buying a new camera soon anyway because this one takes lots of fuzzy pictures, but I wish I hadn't destroyed it. That's the second one in six months. I gotta be more careful. I especially wish it were working at full capacity because I'm going to the Philippines in about three weeks.















These little robotic bears were pulling carts full of people, and I couldn't stop laughing. It looked so bizarre. I took some video that I wish I could post, but I screwed up when I transferred the files to my computer. Oh well. Just imagine that thing goose-stepping like a robot.









We went ice fishing with these rods that look like fly swatters but didn't catch anything. I saw a few fish swim by my hole, but they didn't take the bait. I learned the art of ice fishing. You've got to flick the fly swatter up and down so that your shiny bait looks like a swimming fish. Pretty fascinating, huh?



I stole this picture (as well as some others - the ones that actually look good) from my friend, Sarah. She's a master photographer.







After fishing, we were hungry, cold, and a little annoyed that we didn't catch any dinner. So, we ate some tasty pork instead.



Then, we walked to the bus station. Across the street, there was a PC room called "KILL PC," so we made fools of ourselves and posed for pictures. There ended up being a big line for the bus back to Chuncheon, and we missed the first one. So, seeing as how we had some time to kill, we bought some beer and soju from the convenience store across the street.





I actually had a lot of fun sitting outside the bus terminal, drinking and taking photos. I could've stayed there all night.

Once we got back to Chuncheon, we were feeling a little well-sauced, so we decided to continue the festivities and head to a bar. We sat around and chatted with each other and the bartenders, and it was really pleasant. But then I had a little too much to drink and began to act like an asshole. I'm not at all a violent person, but I started pestering my friend to fight with me. Pretty stupid, but I just wanted a friendly boxing match. Especially stupid because he's really strong, and I'm a weakling. Anyway, we left the bar, and he got sick of me pretending I wanted to "kick his ass," so he socked me and I hit the ground hard. I don't know exactly how it happened, but he punched me in the back of the head (maybe I turned?), and I got a little cut. So, we went to the pool hall where he works, and we performed some first aid. I felt like a real sack of shit because he was so upset. I wasn't angry with him. I ASKED him to do it! But he took it very harshly.

Anyway, I spent most of the day at home today, and I'm already recovering. The bump on my head is shrinking.

Tomorrow, I'm supposed to have a phone interview for a new job. I don't know, though. It seems kind of sketchy, because the first guy I talked to said I'd have my interview on "Monday or Tuesday between 1 and 2." Well, they didn't call today, so I hope they call tomorrow. Seems like they should have set a definite time. Eh, we'll see. I hope I get the job, though. I'm sick of searching.

Yesterday, I started reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. I'm surprised how much I'm loving it. I haven't read a book this good in a long time.

2 comments:

  1. Damn Justin, getting hostile and into bar fights? You're out of control. Well, it looks like you're having a pretty good winter break. What's that interview for? Is it the same thing you're doing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I'm a loose cannon.

    Yeah, same job (basically) but different city. Now I'm teaching at a public school, but I'm trying to get a gig at a private school next year.

    ReplyDelete