March 8, 2009

Sunday



This is why...



I went out for a walk today and discovered this amazing hiking trail that's like three minutes from my apartment. I promise to take more pictures in a few months when things are actually green.











Oh yeah, there were also goats.



There were old ladies hoola-hooping at the top of the little mountain I hiked, but I didn't take any pictures for fear of their ajumma wrath.



I found this amazing picture by the dumpster outside of my apartment. I desperately wanted to take it, but I think it may have been set out for charity or something. I still don't completely understand the garbage situation here. Recycling is mandatory, and you have to separate all of your trash (plastic, paper, glass, food, and everything else). So, maybe people also can set out charitable items? There's also a pair of boots above the picture if you look closely. It just seemed strange that someone had left out something so nice. Anyway, I figured that if someone saw me carrying that huge picture into my apartment, I would have no way to explain myself. I do, however, know how to say, "I don't understand," and "I didn't know."

6 comments:

  1. I sort of accidentally learned how to read Korean this week. The sounds, I mean, of course. Not actually understanding anything beyond the few phrases I know. So it's fun trying to read the characters in the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's surprisingly easy. Of course, like you, I still have no idea what I'm reading most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Justin! Glad to hear everything is going well and I'm lov'n the pictures, keep 'em coming--especially the food ones! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to take more food pictures, but I feel weird taking pictures in tiny restaurants, especially since the owners always watch me like a hawk (analyzing my chopstick skillz, I'm sure).

    ReplyDelete
  5. What are those stones in the first picture?
    BTW, this is Mike Swell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are tombstones. The cemetaries here are really beautiful. They're generally pretty small, like less than ten tombstones (at least the ones I've seen), and they're built on inclines with mounds. They're arranged on steps of various heights, like movie theater seats.

    ReplyDelete