March 2, 2009

Day One

The first day of school was totally awesome. I won't start teaching for another two weeks, but I got to observe a couple classes today. It was surprisingly not intimidating, and the boys (did I mention I work at an all-boys middle school?) are hilarious. I went out to lunch and dinner with the other teachers, and dinner, in particular, was a blast. I got to meet a lot of the teachers (the English-speaking ones, at least), and everyone was incredibly nice. That may have been partially due to the fact that everyone was pouring soju down everyone else's throats all night. The gym teachers and science teachers were especially drunk and friendly. And one of my co-teachers said that she was going to set me up with her cousin who is my age. Also, the principal kept hugging me and holding my hand. I'm told that this is normal friendly drunk behavior in Korea. So, I hate to sound like a complete honeymooner, but everything is wonderful right now.

3 comments:

  1. Your stories would be much more interesting if you were in North Korea. Fag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is soju by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soju's pretty good. It tastes a little like watered down gin (it's only 20% alcohol). Just don't drink too much or you'll wake up in the morning still drunk. It packs an unexplainable punch.

    ReplyDelete