March 25, 2010

Cold

I just got back from the most miserable bike ride of my life. According to Google, it's 40 degrees out, which is already fairly cold, but the worst part was the wind. There were points when I was peddling against the wind as hard as I could just to feel like I was moving at all. And I was only wearing a sweater because it was warmer this afternoon. I know I should stop bitching about the weather, but it's really getting me down. I think the weather has a pretty big influence over my general disposition, and lately the weather's been shit.

Also, I've been a little sick all week, which ain't fun. It's nothing serious. Just a cold, I think. I noticed that a bunch of my students were sick today too, so something must be going around.

Speaking of illness, yesterday, I got some pretty shocking news. One of the teachers at my school has had to leave and possibly quit teaching for good because of "health problems." It's especially strange because she's not much older than me. Mid-to-late twenties. Initially, my director said she wasn't coming in because she was sick. I assumed he meant she just had a cold, like me, but I guess I should have known better since Koreans never call in sick unless they're on their death beds. When I pressed him further about the nature of her illness (because I wondered if maybe she had the same thing I have - runny nose, sore throat, etc.), he gravely said she had something "very rare." Then he said that she wouldn't be returning. He didn't explain any more, and although I was pretty curious, I thought it best to leave it at that. It's really a shame because she's such a sweet, genuinely nice person. It's also a pretty big blow to our staff because we only have five teachers, including me.

Anyway, in slightly less depressing news, I've hooked up with some nerds in my new town, and we're gonna play Dungeons and Dragons and worship the Devil tomorrow night.

And on Saturday, there's some sort of festival going on. I'll probably end up going on my own, but I think there will be all kinds of "activities" going on where I can meet people.

One of my new pals invited me out to play soccer last night. I declined because I already had plans to watch a shitty horror movie and drink wine alone in my apartment, but I'm glad I know some people who play "friendly" soccer matches here. Hopefully that means I can put the soccer shoes I bought last year to use. I've never worn them because I hurt my leg in Thailand immediately after buying them.

Oh, also, I bought a guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment