March 18, 2010

Grad School and Other Things

I woke up this morning to snow, and it's pissing me off. I want to move to a tropical climate. Yesterday, I had the day off because the Korean teachers had to attend a seminar. I had planned on running some errands, but it was too toasty inside and too miserable outside for me to leave the apartment.

Nothing special has been going on lately, but my mama asked me to update this thing, so I figured I'd post something short and sweet. Work is okay. When I first started my new job, I was filled with feelings of dread every morning. I didn't want to go to work. But it's slowly getting better. The kids are fine and my co-workers are fine, but teaching just ain't my thing. Fortunately, this has forced me to think a lot about what I really do want to do with my life. I've decided that I almost certainly want to go to grad school. I had never really considered it until a few days ago, but now I'm pretty dead-set on it. Lately, I've got the film bug bad, and I've decided that I definitely want to pursue a career in that field. I've also been writing a lot lately. Mostly just ideas and scenes and dialogue, nothing very cohesive, but it feels good being creative.

Regarding grad school, originally, I was thinking about trying for a program in Europe because I'd really like to live there for a couple years, but after doing some research, I realized that it's not really feasible. For one thing, most universities don't even offer film programs, and the ones that do don't offer them in English for international students. I guess most international programs are related to business or language. I'll still probably apply for some programs in the UK and other English-speaking countries like Australia, New Zealand, and maybe South Africa. But it's likely that I'll end up going somewhere in the U.S. A lot of it depends on whether or not I can get scholarships.

I need to bulk up my portfolio, but it's so hard to make films in a country where no one speaks English. I'm supposed to meet some guy who is also a filmmaker at the end of the month. I'm pretty sure he's Korean-American, so I really hope he speaks Korean. That would make things infinitely easier. The frustrating thing is that I have all these ideas for films that I just can't use until I go back to America.

Today is Thursday. Thursday is a kind of difficult day for me because I have to teach alone, with no co-teachers. It's fine for the older kids because we just sit around and shoot the shit, but the babies are real terrors. They give up on listening after about ten minutes, and I don't blame them. People naturally tune out a foreign language after a while. Besides, they're like 5 years old, and their attention span is only about ten minutes anyway.

Time to ride my bike through the snow.

1 comment:

  1. justin, european countries have film programs or master schools rather than film grad programs generally. there's lots of funding that they throw around too so give it another look before you write it off. email me if you want some more info. i worked for a documentary master school in germany last month. -chris reed

    ReplyDelete