June 15, 2009

Sokcho

Last weekend, I went to a beach party in Sokcho, which is on the east coast. I didn't take many pictures, and the ones I did take turned out pretty lousy, but here are a few anyway.

Near downtown, Sokcho.



When we left Chuncheon, the weather was beautiful, but when we rolled into Sokcho two hours later, things had turned nasty. It was cold and misty. Fortunately, I brought along a sweater and pants in my backpack.





There were fireworks and sparklers.



The next morning, we found some leftover sparklers.



Then, at 7 AM, I decided to go for a dip in the ocean. If I had gotten more than an hour of sleep, and if I weren't still drunk (though I didn't quite realize it) from the night before, I would have realized that that was a bad idea. A really big wave punched me in the face and swallowed up my glasses. I was pretty helpless after that, but luckily, I had some friends around to get me back to the bus terminal. Once back in Chuncheon, I walked home Mr. Magoo-style, narrowly missing speeding cars and open manholes. Then, I slept for about 20 hours.

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry, your glasses are in a better place now maybe?

    In Taiwan, you get your frames/lenses and your new prescription together all at one low price, I wonder if it's the same in S. Korea? I just know that it's a rip off here in the states and they have a cooler selection of frames in asia anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, when I went to the glasses store, they checked my eyes and checked the prescription of my old glasses (no appointment necessary). I chose my frames, and then I picked up my new glasses the next day. It all cost 100,000 won, which is like $80 (currently).

    ReplyDelete